Shock is a status condition that will, at random intervals, cause the victim to spasm, interrupting anything the victim was doing and damaging them. Enemies will only be interrupted if shock damages them while telegraphing: if they are already in the attack animation, it won't be stopped. Knights, on the other hand, will be interrupted by the spasm regardless of what they were doing (even interrupting the otherwise unstoppable charge attacks of the troika and striker line swords). Attacks that can shock deal a portion of elemental damage; damage taken from shock status can only be reduced by shock-resistant armor. If a knight is blocking when a spasm strikes, their shield will be lowered, exposing them to attacks from monsters (or hostile players in Lockdown, which can be catastrophic for a guardian) but will not take the damage from the spasm. Poison will increase the damage that each shock tick delivers. The strength of the applied Shock only affects its duration: the damage that Shock causes per spasm is dependant on the Star Rating of the weapon used to inflict it. This means that a higher damage shock can be overwritten if a lower damage shock is applied after it, provided the strength is the same: For this reason it is not recommended to bring weapons of different star ratings with the same shock strength on the same run.
A unique characteristic of shock is that when the victim receives damage from shock, everything in a small radius around the target will also be hit. This can break blocks, hurt both enemies and allies, and potentially spread the status.
Shock-themed enemies are immune to and may inflict shock status.
- Beryl Greavers
- Jolt Bunnies
- Static Deadnaught
- Surging Bombie
- Quicksilvers are not immune to shock, but are healed and gain super speed when shocked.
- Gremlin Jumpers
- Jumpers are not immune to but can inflict shock.
- Power Drops
- Shocking Scarabs
- Storm Bellies
- Trojans are not immune to but can inflict shock.
- Tortodrones are not immune to but can inflict shock.
- Volt Knights
- All Mecha Knights can inflict shock, but only Volt Knights are immune. However, they can still shock themselves.
Spiral Knights can inflict shock on monsters by using shock vials against them or using a weapon that has a chance of inflicting shock.
Weapons that are able to inflict shock are:
- Static Edge and upgrade
- Voltech Alchemer and upgrades
- Ionized Salt Bomb and upgrades
- Static Flash
- Kilowatt Pulsar and upgrades
- Static Capacitor and upgrades
- Shockburst Brandish and upgrades
- The Shockburst Brandish line can only inflict shock with the charge attack.
- Electron Charge and upgrades
- Sealed Sword's charge attack
The following armor sets grants knights a resistance, but not immunity, to shocking attacks:
- Circuit Breaker Set and upgrades
- Magic Set and upgrades except for the Chaos set.
- Quick Silver Set and upgrades
- Mercurial Demo set
The following shields will protect against static strikes:
The following trinkets carry knights through the electric egresses of the Clockworks: