Fire is a status condition that causes periodic damage to the victim. The damage ticks are red, suggesting Normal damage, but Normal armor does not lessen the damage from fire and neither does Elemental armor. Rather, only Fire-resistant armor lessens the damage (and duration, and perhaps chances) of fire. When a burning knight tries to throw an offensive vial, the fire may break the vial, causing it to be wasted. Fire wears off after a few seconds. Before it wears off, it can be cured with a Remedy Capsule. In the Firestorm Citadel, fire can be cured by getting splashed with a water orb. Being frozen will also prematurely put out fire. Unlike Shock, Fire damage is not affected by poison.
Unlike Shock, Fire damage cannot be prevented by shielding.
Oil slicks periodically dropped by Oilers or released from Oil Jars can catch fire. They become a temporary floor hazard if set on fire, and burn up after several seconds. Oil slicks can be set on fire by:
- Ground-based fire attacks from other enemies (Gremlin Scorchers, Red Rovers, Salamanders)
- A flaming Oiler's attack
- Adjacent flaming oil slicks
- A Fire-inflicted player or enemy walking over an Oil slick
- A fire jar
- And Charged shots from the Firotech Alchemer series (The oil only catches fire if the shot disappears over an Oil slick)
As such, an unprepared party can quickly be overwhelmed by a few Oilers and a Red Rover or Scorcher.
Poisonous Oil SlicksEdit
Poisonous Oil slicks periodically dropped by Toxoils and Giant Toxoils can catch fire too and can be set on fire for the same circumstances that the normal Oil Slick. Fortunately, these types of slicks can be seen in the Danger Mission: Compound 42 only. It can cause poison too.
- Main article: Exploration#Map Hazards
Fire-themed enemies are usually immune to and may inflict fire status.
- Ash Tails
- Firo Knights
- Gremlin Scorchers
- Gremlin Lighters
- Lighters are not immune to but can inflict fire.
- Oilers cannot spread fire without outside help, but drop oil slicks which can be lit up to create temporary floor hazards, and spread fire status by attacking and are healed when burned. Freeze douses their flame.
- Red Rovers
- Rocket Puppies are not immune to but can inflict fire.
- Ruby Greavers
- Slag Walkers
- Spice Drops
- Sun Scarabs
- Giant Toxoil
- Toast Bunnies
- Lord Vanaduke
- Darkfire Vanaduke
Spiral Knights can inflict fire on monsters by using fire vials against them, throwing fire vases, and using a weapon that has a chance of inflicting fire.
Weapons that are able to inflict fire are:
- Hot Edge and upgrades
- Fireburst Brandish and upgrades
- The Fireburst Brandish line can only inflict fire with the charge attack.
- Flamberge and upgrades
- Fang of Vog
- Firotech Alchemer and upgrades
- Pepperbox and upgrades
- Fiery Vaporizer and upgrades
- Sealed Sword's charge attack
The following armor sets grants knights a resistance, but not immunity, to burning attacks:
- Emberbreaker Set and upgrades
- Magic Set and upgrades except for the Chaos set.
- Drake Scale Set and upgrades in the Wyvern path.
- Chroma set and upgrades in the Salamander path.
- Fallen Set
- Vog Cub Set
- Volcanic Plate Set
- Volcanic Demo Set
The following shields will protect against fierce, flaming foes:
- Emberbreak Shield and upgrades
- Owlite Shield and upgrades
- Darkfang Shield
- Crest of Almire
- Drake Scale Shield and upgrades
- Volcanic Plate Shield
The following trinkets carry knights through the fiery furnaces of the Clockworks: