A crown is the basic unit of money used throughout Cradle. Crowns can be obtained during adventuring (drops), as rewards for winning PVP matches, and via trading or selling. The number of crowns a knight has is displayed on the upper right side of the HUD, just under the minimap.
Uses of Crowns Edit
Crowns are used to make purchases and pay for services.
Used for purchasing:
- items and recipes from vendors, the Auction House, or other players;
- crystal energy (CE) using the Energy Depot; or
- used for trading for CE via the Energy Depot.
To pay fees for:
- taking the elevator directly to a subtown (if not previously cleared);
- entering PVP competitions in King Krogmo's Coliseum;
- listing an item in the Auction House;
- crafting items with Alchemy machines;
- obtaining unique variants from Punch; and
- sending in-game mail (Uplink messages) to other players.
Finding Crowns Edit
Crowns can be found scattered throughout the Clockworks, either loose or hidden inside treasure boxes or monsters. Knights can collect crowns by walking over or near them. If there is more than one knight in a party, every knight will receive the same number of crowns collected.
Note: Crowns will despawn in 120 seconds if not picked up.
There are five different denominations of crowns:
Earning Crowns Edit
As crowns are passed from player to player, converted into energy or used for fees as part of the Spiral Knights economy, players can earn crowns through a number of methods.
Selling and Trading Edit
Energy can be traded in lots of 100CE via the Energy Depot for a fee, or traded directly with other knights.
Knights can also earns crowns for the minerals they collect during their adventures through the Clockworks. The Birdsong Mining Company is willing to pay knights for minerals deposited into dormant gates, thereby contributing to the creation of new gates. This results in a small payout of crowns, usually two to three crowns per mineral, although the range is anywhere from 0cr (for gates with a surplus of that mineral) to 5cr (for new gates).